I had no crew. I went to the club anyway. Figured I could find a crew.
Had a burger with Scott.
Sandra was going on another boat and that other boat was not available so she came with me. She bought her Swiss friend Axel.
Alec had another newbie looking for a boat so we got Anshul (from India).
Axel was our expert, but he did things quite differently than I would.
We had a great race. The boat performed very well. The first round was sloppy but second round was very good. We did the race in 30 minutes 43 seconds, very close to Chaos. That's a first. The final result was sixth, but that is with the funny handicaps.
The race only lasted 30 minutes so I suggested we go for a sail and everyone was on board (sort of speak). We sailed to Baie d'ufie and back. Everyone took their share of helming.
It was dark when we got back to the channel and it was pretty much right up the wind, so we eventually started the iron sail.
Nice docking and I slept aboard. Daniele did not join me later for the annual regatta. She came next morning.
Friday, August 18, 2017
Wednesday, August 16, 2017
Nice Wednesday race - windy

Daniele and I got groceries to spend the night at anchor after the Wednesday race.
Winds were very good 10-14 knots.
Jimmy and Tilde enticed us to take them as crew. We took off motoring down the channel since winds were about 30 degrees off.
We tuned the rig and had some good practise when I notice that the race had started. We had 4 minutes to get to the start line with the White Sail fleet. We were about a minute behind.
I took the helm and made Jimmy and Daniele and Tilde handle the lines.
Jimmy tried cranking and releasing, I think we tried him. Daniele got tired of cranking after the first windward leg.
We ended up third out of fourth. We don't really know what happened to Borlean
Monday, August 14, 2017
Spinnaker with Goucho
Without a crew, I went out with Audrey. As we left the harbour, we had engine problems (lack of power). We returned and did not see anything wrong and tried it again. No problems so we tried again. Motored to the gut and set up the sails.
After a little while, we decided to reef the main. There were problems with rigging that created lots of draft on the main.
We sailed around for a while and returned to the club. In the channel, we ran the spinnaker a bit and we had an hour glass. Took her down and came home.
Afterwards, I ran into Julie-Helene who asked if I was a diver. Her daughter had dropped a line while motoring and you imagine what happened. They got towed to the container docks. I got my snorkle and got it untangled in a minute. We took Exlixar back to her dock and she bought me a beer!
I slept aboard and got up early and came to the office.
After a little while, we decided to reef the main. There were problems with rigging that created lots of draft on the main.
We sailed around for a while and returned to the club. In the channel, we ran the spinnaker a bit and we had an hour glass. Took her down and came home.
Afterwards, I ran into Julie-Helene who asked if I was a diver. Her daughter had dropped a line while motoring and you imagine what happened. They got towed to the container docks. I got my snorkle and got it untangled in a minute. We took Exlixar back to her dock and she bought me a beer!
I slept aboard and got up early and came to the office.
Friday, August 11, 2017
Another Friday night race cancelled due to storm
There was to be a makeup raft up and Duggan cup.
There were thunderstorm warnings and Jimmy called to cancel. Tilda did not call.
Yves and Mary joined me on Bellum. Daniele was setting up her vernissage
As we went out, there was dark rain at the west end of the lake. On the radar, it was clearly moving north and probably going to miss us. We put up the main and sailed around waiting for about 40 minutes. Then the race was cancelled. We pulled out the jib and sailed back to the club channel.
Then Audrey radioed us saying they were going to sail a bit and that she had Mary's wine. So we sailed back out again. The wind was right up to the channel so we took the inshore route and Goucho tacked through the channel. We almost made it to the gut when we turned back. We were not watching Goucho and it looks like they gave up tacking and returned to the club.
Mary and I had supper aboard Goucho.
There were thunderstorm warnings and Jimmy called to cancel. Tilda did not call.
Yves and Mary joined me on Bellum. Daniele was setting up her vernissage
As we went out, there was dark rain at the west end of the lake. On the radar, it was clearly moving north and probably going to miss us. We put up the main and sailed around waiting for about 40 minutes. Then the race was cancelled. We pulled out the jib and sailed back to the club channel.
Then Audrey radioed us saying they were going to sail a bit and that she had Mary's wine. So we sailed back out again. The wind was right up to the channel so we took the inshore route and Goucho tacked through the channel. We almost made it to the gut when we turned back. We were not watching Goucho and it looks like they gave up tacking and returned to the club.
Mary and I had supper aboard Goucho.
Wednesday, August 9, 2017
Friday, August 4, 2017
no Friday race
Before the race, I went to prepare my apartment to prepare to have all my possessions moved to another apartment so that they could restore my apartment from the flood.
There was a major storm. I doubt there would be a Friday race. But I had no other place to sleep so I went to the club arriving about 17h20.
Fiona had cancelled
Marty and Lori were at the club.
The race was cancelled. Blue Nuit did go out.
Patrick and I had some drinks and a pleasant supper.
Got up the next day to spend 10 hours moving my stuff to a neighbour's apartment.
There was a major storm. I doubt there would be a Friday race. But I had no other place to sleep so I went to the club arriving about 17h20.
Fiona had cancelled
Marty and Lori were at the club.
The race was cancelled. Blue Nuit did go out.
Patrick and I had some drinks and a pleasant supper.
Got up the next day to spend 10 hours moving my stuff to a neighbour's apartment.
Wednesday, August 2, 2017
Wednesday race - no wind, lots of wind, no wind
Daniele and I went to pick up the Ebay and Defender stuff from Mike and then headed to the club.
We bought pork fillets to eat at anchor after the race. Jimmy did not come because of the thunderstorm warnings.
There was no wind in the harbour. We filled the water tanks. We went out early and there were 4 to 2 knots. I could taste the pork on the BBQ. There was a storm cell east of us.
Then the winds picked up to 15 knots.
We raced white sail with Tara II, Talisman IV, Borlean. Daniele helmed. We ran abeam along the start line and when the horn sounded, we tucked across near the pin side.
There were a little thunder and lightning in that cell that was still east of us.
There was a storm watch. I decided to return to the dock.
We had a drink aboard and then decided to join Patrick at the BBQ and then slept aboard.
Awaiting racing results.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)
Thanksgiving weekend, Frostbite NOT
Saturday afternoon, I did Yoga at 2, Arkavan and then headed to the club. I had the car packed with winter cover and more, getting ready fo...
-
It was an interesting week at the club. Came down on Friday to help Sylvie if she needed to haul out Tara II. Had supper with the gang. Sat...
-
I had an uneventful Haul-out at 12:30, single-handed. Fuel and pumpout. I helped Eric with pump-out, fueling and winterizing his engine. ...




