Thursday, August 8, 2024

Wet sail with Catherine

Catherine messaged me asking to race on Thursday evening. I was not planning to race without crew and some rain.  I was going to be 50 mm of rain tomorrow. Since I was at the club and Eric had asked to sail I agreed.  We agreed to meet at 4PM.

Daniel asked if we needed crew, but he could not make it at 4PM.

Catherine had met with Helene last night and took Matchmaker out with Gerrard.  I was supposed to help but Gerrard was available so I was relieved.  She loved the boat and agreed to buy it, next year since she was going to be travelling for most of the next seven weeks and the estate was not settled.

The winds were picking up during the afternoon but were supposed to calm down so I took the chance to leave the 150 headsail on.  

We put up the main as we left the club and sailed out to the main lake and unfurled the headsail in furled mode. Catherine had problems holding a course and stopping the boat from turning when we were aiming for where we wanted to head to. She eventually got it but she could not helm the race.

Winds picked up to about 20 knots at the start and went up to 25 knots as we were starting and I abandoned the race but I had to cross the start line to get around the RC to head back.  We gybed and furled the head sail 70 % and sailed back in a fair amount of rain.  We got back to the club without incident.

The forecast was supposed to be calm with a small percentage of rain in the later evening.

I tidied up the boat and drove home in the rain. 

The race was cancelled about 30 minutes into the race.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Systems check with Chiheb and Brian

Norm bought me an 8 HP Johnson/  Saturday Brian came up from Vermont.  Chieb came helped prepare BELLUM for her big adventure. Set up new ch...