Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Wild first race with Maud and Sylvie

 I was not going to race to work on my TAL project, but the ladies were very eager to go, so we planned to go.  I guess the sailing would a good distraction from TAL  

Winds during the day were reported to be 30 knots but would go down to 17 knots, gusting 22.  

We set off with David's J.  With one reef, we sailed to the gut and had a shaky start, missing the new one-minute starting requirements or be scored DNS.

The crew was quite rusty.  I had sailed a few times already.  Maud was not comfortable with the helm and wanted me to do the start.  Tacks and main sheet handling were very rough.  It was a little hard to trim.  Winds were highly shifty... sometimes 40 degrees.

We raced for about 35 minutes and sailed back to the harbour by 8PM.  No services at the club so I biked back home.



The forecast before the race


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spontanious sail and anchorage Grand Anse - PCYC

I biked to the club on Thursday for the Tactics and rules seminar by Peter Hall and Joe Jospe.  I stayed on board afterwards.  It was cold. ...