Saturday, September 5, 2020

Lord Strathcona Cup

Maud, Lara, Gee and I took on the covenant Lord Strathcona cup -  a long-distance race in constantly strong winds.

After the windmill point channel, Slow Dancer II had tacked ahead of us in the strong winds and lost control in a gust, and was on port heading in front of us, I veered off but stalled the rudder heading for Slow Dancer's cockpit at 6-plus knots, I decided to tack to avoid a collision.  We did not protest but Slow Dancer did her 720 near the end of the race.

We got ahead of Slow Dancer as she made a bad tacking decision too far from BEA B.

After BEA B, I was in a run / broad reach port tack counting on a wind shift once we pass the windmill.  It did shift but were got into shallows and picked up a lot of weed that made the rudder flutter - definitely slowing us down for the next hour and more.

Once in the zig-zag channel, we were constantly tacking to make the marks, just as Slow Dancer ahead of us.  She beat us by a couple of minutes.

We had drinks and snacks on Slow Dancer II with Brian, Dale, Fred and Chantal - talking about the Oyster round the world.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday sail with Chiheb, Marie, Natalia, Bulent -

I did my last FFR presentation on Friday night, moving the duties to Emma and Gerard.  Saturday morning, I lounged a little and tidied up th...