Saturday, October 15, 2022

Fast sailing with Sylvie and Katleen

Saturday was supposed to be windy and Sunday not so windy.  The forecast for Saturday was 13 to 18 with gusts to 25.  

I had a crew with Andreanne lined up but she cancelled last minute as I was cycling to PCYC to watch their crane day.  Sylvie texted me to say she was at the club and it was too windy for her to go out alone so I cancelled PCYC and came to the club at noon.  

We took Bellum out with an intention of just using the reefed 135.  As we exited the harbour, winds were steady at 25 to 27 knots and I decided not to deploy the sail.  I headed west and the winds declined, and we deployed the reefed 135-head sail and had a good run at 6.5 knots to the gut.  Then we tried beating and it got rough.  We beat for about 3 minutes and had to bear off to avoid some shallow spots.  Beamed to Baie'durie, sailed around and then closed haul back to the gut and beamed back to the club.  







We needed to get back before six when the winds were forecast to increase to 19 gusting 29.  


Forecasted Winds


Actual winds



30 knots overnight

Nice docking at 4h30 in a strong south wind.  

I had oysters with Audrey and Scott and then bbq sausages on Bellum at the dock.  Temp was supposed to be 5, fine with the heater.  Better than riding back home and back to the club early for the Frostbite.

Very windy night at the dock. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Spontanious sail and anchorage Grand Anse - PCYC

I biked to the club on Thursday for the Tactics and rules seminar by Peter Hall and Joe Jospe.  I stayed on board afterwards.  It was cold. ...