Monday, October 10, 2022

Single handed mid-October two nights - Thanksgiving

Monday, I sailed to Dowkers. Sylvie had invited me to join her and Eric.  I hesitated to join as I wanted to sleep aboard Bellum.  

I stowed the 155, which was sitting in my cabin in the large and hard-to-manage sausage bag. I stowed her in the club locker.  In fact, I was glad I had not reinstalled the 155 after the Frostbite.

Winds were light and shifty from the west. I sailed from the club channel and had to veer north to Allen Hill bay and kept getting veered until I ran aground in the bay. I had to furl and motor out and headed south across the channel and sailed to the gut and then towards Grande Anse and then sailed into Dowkers doing a zero carbon anchorage.  The wind was from the west and I was well sheltered.  I was alone - even the houseboat was gone.  

Sunset was great as was the moonrise.  One day after the full moon.  The previous Sunday was too cold to anchor.

Flower pot heater

In fact, it turned out to be a very cold night.  My heating was a clay flower pot on the propane stove and the Heat Pal alcohol heater.  After I turned off all the heat and went to bed, the Carbon Monoxide detector went off.  The first time that has happened.  Appreciated the warning.  In the morning, the temperature was -1.  

Tuesday winds were from the west and light. I hauled anchor and lightly touched a rock and I started the motor to get out to a safe part of the bay and I sailed out of the bay and around the lake a couple of times.  Departure was at noon and returned to Grand Anse at 3

Saw a float plane come in toward St. Anne




Wednesday I hauled anchor and sailed back to the club. Winds were variable from zero to 13 knots back and forth.  I never had to start the motor.  Got to the club at 4.  Norm helped me dock. Sylvie was at the club, doing stuff on her boat and helping others dock, etc.














I biked to Access Electronics to return the Laptop power adapter and picked up some Samosas for the week.

I biked to Ikea and had a salmon supper there as I was famished.  Biked home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spontanious sail and anchorage Grand Anse - PCYC

I biked to the club on Thursday for the Tactics and rules seminar by Peter Hall and Joe Jospe.  I stayed on board afterwards.  It was cold. ...