Wednesday, October 26, 2022

October 26 - Anchor DRAG

I departed the club at 11:30 with some help from Chaos.  A glorious day of sailing in 23C weather



Chaos

Chaos







I tried to anchor at Dowker’s but I kept hitting bottom, even as I tried to get out of the bay.  So I went sailing around the lake one more circuit and anchored at Grand Anse, ready for 15 knots gusting to 30. 


Sailing into the sunset


The forecast was for a windy night
Overnight was unnerving.  

The anchor alarm came on a few times as she dragged a few feet. 

At 5am the expected gusts came up to 28 knots from the North and the anchor dragged south 400 feet.  Then she dragged 1/2 nM to the shallows in the southeast.  I came to the cockpit, started the engine, and tried to keep the boat from drifting.  

At 5:45, I let out another 50 feet of rode for 130 feet, which seemed to stop the dragging. I was now in 8 feet of water. The initial anchorage was 6 feet. 

In theory, the west wind forecasted would have dragged her safely into the main lake. 


Drifted from Original anchor to Final Anchor



At 9 AM, I started to pull the anchor in 15- 19 knots of winds.  It was a slow delicate process of moving the boat forward, pulling in some rode, clearing the rode from under the windlass, moving the boat forward, repeat.  Naturally, there was a large bunch of weeds and we were close to shallow water.  




Motored out of Grande Anse and sailed back to the club in 15 knots WNW.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Spontanious sail and anchorage Grand Anse - PCYC

I biked to the club on Thursday for the Tactics and rules seminar by Peter Hall and Joe Jospe.  I stayed on board afterwards.  It was cold. ...