Saturday, September 2, 2023

FFR Pursuit race

I got up early, prepared to change sail from 155 to 135.  Did Yoga.  Saw Joceyln and Christine and Scarlett on the parking lot, heading out to do groceries.  I asked if I can join them, saving me a bike ride.  They had to go to Boathouse and then Cavallaro which was supposed to be a butcher shop, but was actually a deli.  I called Natalie to see if she could go to IGA and pick up something to BBQ for the raft-up, since I was going to be late at the club anyways.

Padraig and Natalie were crew.

Padraig showed up late to help us remove the headsail so Natalie, Liam and Wind Jammer crew removed folded the head sail at the dock with a tail wind.  We did it in ten minutes, just in time for the competitor meeting.  


We had a good meeting at the lawn.


We raised the 135 headsail after leaving the club channel. 

max wind forecast
The winds were forecast to be 14 knots maximum without Gusts.  That was consist with the forecast from the last couple of days. There were plenty of white caps from lakeshore.  A few boats decided not to go out.  Winds were 8 to 22 knots and the 22 knots were substained. A few boat retired.

Fred had lost his crew on Panarama One so I invited him to join us.  He kept asking questions that tried my patience.  It was not a great day for Padraig since he did not have much experiance in keel boats, but he had a dingy and claimed to have crew often on a J29. He had problems with self-tailing winches and I was yelling at him often which annoyed him. 

Natalie helmed the race.  I took over occationaly to avoid collision and to stabilized the boat when she was oversteering.  

SeaScan had problem ducking us and I had to do an emergency tack to avoid her. SeaScan also did SL44 on port rather than starboard and we hailed her and she came back and rectified the error.  SeaScan and us kept close for most of the race, with us catching up to her on the long run from AD22 to AS15, with lots of help from the wisker pole.

I had put Bellum on the third start and we did well.  If we had been on the second start, we probably would have won and that would have been akward. We did race well.

We were pretty tired and Natalie and I decided to have supper at the club sitting with Jocylne, Christine and Scarlett who had retired from the race.

Scalett drove me home afterwards.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Spontanious sail and anchorage Grand Anse - PCYC

I biked to the club on Thursday for the Tactics and rules seminar by Peter Hall and Joe Jospe.  I stayed on board afterwards.  It was cold. ...