Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Tuesday Race in 23 knots

I helped Ghost Owl change to a smaller jib before the race.  I reefed the main.

Winds were supposed to decline at 7 but it did not. We saw steady winds of 23 knots.

Maud showed up at 5:30 and we took off with the jib.  Just before the gut, I tried to furl the jib and lost my ability to steer up.  Started the engine to motor sailed past the gut and we got the main up with some difficulties.  We sailed up the lake to tune the rig but we missed the start by about 3 minutes.  We were last, 7 1/2 minute behind the previous boat..  not good.

Maud was not comfortable steering under these conditions.

We sailed the course with difficulties in boat handling - mostly over heeling.  The smaller boats - especially during broad reach were coming close to us and I steered the boat to prevent contact but kept speed so that when we got to the mark, we were the inside boat so they had to give us space.

We might have done okay if we had a better start.

Expresso was having serious problems with her jib.  Chaos did not race as she had the wrong sail plan.

I had a drink aboard Ballade chatting about Ian and buying boats.  I slept aboard.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Spontanious sail and anchorage Grand Anse - PCYC

I biked to the club on Thursday for the Tactics and rules seminar by Peter Hall and Joe Jospe.  I stayed on board afterwards.  It was cold. ...