Friday, June 5, 2020

Shake out sail with Darla

I got to the boat early to clean up the boat and prepare for the first sailing of the season.

I was surprised how clean she was because the deck was full of lignin from the tree due to the early removal of the winter tarp in early March.

I installed the missing battens and tack shackle on the main.

Darla showed at 4 up with pork chops and Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning and salad.  This was a full moon and a risk of a thunderstorm.  

We motored to the gut, sailed close haul to Dowkers. Darla got the hang of steering the boat after 15 minutes of coaching and corrections.  I never had to tell her much more to keep the boat trimmed.  I decided to anchor at the sandbars so we could get back should the storm come up.  

The shad flys were terrible.  Sunset as so-so.  The sky looked bad so we pulled the anchor to have the BBQ at the dock.

We enjoyed a Glenlivit and decided it was too late for supper and Darla went home and I slept aboard.

A nice beginning, boat kinks were resolved, and the boat is ready to race. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spontanious sail and anchorage Grand Anse - PCYC

I biked to the club on Thursday for the Tactics and rules seminar by Peter Hall and Joe Jospe.  I stayed on board afterwards.  It was cold. ...