Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Tuesday race and then downpour




Maud and Sylvie went out.  

The forecast was for a small shower at 7 with the red rain moving clearly north of us.

I put up the main but the winds were too low and we motored to the race area and practised a bit.  We had to motor further to get to the start in time.

I planned a good start timing but so did Chaos who ended up in a position of being barged out.  I slowed down to let him through and it cost us 32 seconds.  Not bad.  

I ended up helming the race.  I have not helmed much this season. Maude learnt a bit about handling the lines - especially the moveable fairleads.

The small shower hit us at 7h30.  Then there was lightning. Boats were calling in to abandon beginning with Break-Away.

On the second upwind leg, I tried to use momentum to get to the mark and caught the mark.  arg... started the engine and luckily did not have any problems.  I called in to abandon the race.  Immediately RC announced the race was abandoned.  We sailed back sipping our drinks.  I furled the jib. We had a few dumping of rain and we observed a rain system approach.  Then all hell broke out and I had an opportunity to turn into the wind in the AD11 channel as the crew crudely folded the main.  We were the only ones sailing back.




The south winds made docking precarious.  I considered using Talisman dock.  The pick-up line had fallen out and I aborted the approach, did a 360 and came back in as Ghost Owl crew were there to help us dock.  Apparently, they had considered using Talisman dock too.

We were drenched.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Spontanious sail and anchorage Grand Anse - PCYC

I biked to the club on Thursday for the Tactics and rules seminar by Peter Hall and Joe Jospe.  I stayed on board afterwards.  It was cold. ...