Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Spinnaker on J95

The weather was stormy.  Rachel sent me warnings about Squalls.  Sylvie had a dinner meeting with her lab people. Maud was eager to go to the club.  at 3, the sky started pouring dogs and cats.  I took the BMW to the club.  As I got off the Metro at du College, the sky was sunny.  I continued to the club.  

Talking with David, we decided to combine crew and go spinnaker sailing on Just Now, a J95. 

I saw classic squall forming clouds in the North West.  Luc looked at the radar and it was heading east and just north of us.  


We sailed the spinnaker to just before the Gut when the wind shifted 180 and we jibed and had problems controlling the spi.  We released in the water as we were heading for the rocks north of the gut.  Engine started but we shut it down due to concerns about lines in the water.  We struggled to get the spi back and sailed through the gut and back to the club for a beer and supper.  





I think we were a good crew. I think David and Luc may poach Maud from my crew! 


Using a well-known Frank Borman quote: “A superior pilot uses his superior judgment to avoid situations which require the use of his superior skill


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spontanious sail and anchorage Grand Anse - PCYC

I biked to the club on Thursday for the Tactics and rules seminar by Peter Hall and Joe Jospe.  I stayed on board afterwards.  It was cold. ...