Thursday, July 28, 2022

Thursday no race for me, Friday with Rachel and Paolo

Another new summer boat cover
Michel D drove me to the club at 11 to give me the summer boat cover.

I tidy up my locker, after being shamed.

Tried the cover and it looked pretty good.  She needed some batons.

Then the rain fell and the wind went up to 22 knots.  The cover held okay, but I need to enhance the tied-down lines.

Chaos was the only boat that went out.  There were tornado warnings in Laval.  At about 7:30, I decided to head out.  There was some rain in Ottawa but it seemed to be dissipating.  I motored to the Gut to save time to avoid the weather and to get to Grande Anse at a decent time.  Passed by Chaos on the way there.

Nice zero emission anchorage at Grand Anse.

Confirmed with Rachel and Paolo for Friday to pick up at PCYC.  

Friday morning was very windy. I pulled the anchor and sailed at 3 knots over the water with just the poles.  I reefed the jib and was heeling like mad.  

I sailed until 10:15 and headed for PCYC where the visitor's dock was occupied by Ad Lib and I found a dock 401 in front of Capricon and did a pretty good docking single-handed. 

I reported to the office and they told me 401 was Bill's dock I called Bill and he was going to be back at the club in an hour so it was okay to use his dock.  Ad Lib was having fuel problems.

I met Rachel and Paolo at the club entrance and decided to go to Wild Willie's. https://www.wildwillys.ca/ 

We departed the dock and Paolo tried to steer the boat under motor and I rigged the boat for sailing.  Winds were still quite strong. He was not much better at trimming or tacking. The self-tailing winches and winch handle were a challenge I was not impressed with for someone who sailed clipper round the world.  

We had lunch on a downwind run.  

Sailed back to the club at 4 to make the 5PM race meeting.  Paolo said it was too late for him to get back to Laval to race tonight.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Spontanious sail and anchorage Grand Anse - PCYC

I biked to the club on Thursday for the Tactics and rules seminar by Peter Hall and Joe Jospe.  I stayed on board afterwards.  It was cold. ...